Tuesday, September 23, 2014

True Mimesis

I find that I have developed a distaste for much of the new, popular shows and movies. Often I find that the media gains a lot of hype for it's special effects and famous actors, then when it premiers it fails to impress me (and others) with underdeveloped writing, plot holes and bad acting. And when it comes to acting, one of my biggest pet peeves is something that I call the sexy cry

A sexy cry is a scene when a female character is put into a grieving situation and cries only mildly as to maintain the beauty or gentleness of the role they are portraying. Nearly all female roles in today's media carry out this unrealistic form of acting. It is perhaps more visually appealing, but the audience gains no empathy with the person facing the trauma. The overall effect is hindered.

But in Hecuba, Euripides knows how to appeal to logic through emotion. Hecuba herself brims with sadness, none of which is honestly unrealistic. You can feel her heart-wrenching pain. And when she cries, it isn't some quiet pathetic sob. No, this is true sadness - the kind that makes you a twinge of guilt and embarrassment for willingly observing someone literally break down. She doesn't hide it because it's not meant to be attractive! You feel her pain. That is more than you ever see in current media. That is Mimesis.

It doesn't even end there. Every character gives off such outspoken yet honest feelings that you can't help but agree with their pleads and causes, even if you disagree. Hecuba may not be able to convince Odysseus to let her daughter live, but she gives off not only reason but emotional appeal as well, until your heart strains with woe as Odysseus denies her any peace from her misery, or in her implore to Agamemnon demanding revenge, where you know that she has been driven to madness and yet you have sympathy for her. That is power and that brings out more rhetoric than just a pretty face ever will.

3 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of a principal that I learned some time back. The principle of vulnerability. As I was reading your post that was the word that continually came to my mind. Although I did not have the same experience as you in the sense of truly feeling for the characters your point remains very valid in my eyes. The actors and actresses demonstrated such vulnerability, expressing all their emotions and hiding none, that it required a level of respect to watch. The audience has to respect (not necessarily respect customs, culture, or class) the character because she was so "pure" in her emotions. I have heard it said that vulnerability is true confidence or even power. I think there is some truth in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched "Medea" because I wasn't able to attend Hecuba. I'm sensing a theme in Euripides' plays- suffering, sadness, madness, and strain. In both plays, it seems, that the emotion is intensified by the actor and words alike. I like how you understood the power that comes from the raw emotion Euripides promoted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how you brought up "embarrassment" in witnessing suffering so intense. I agree that I felt a twinge of discomfort as I watched Hecuba lament. I think it stems from some unvoiced social norm to mask and repress emotions.

    ReplyDelete