Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Cradle of Humanism

The Inspiration for the European Renaissance


While reading the funeral oration as delivered by Peracles I couldn't also help but think of the leaders of the American revolution, I imagined them reading similar works and being influenced by them. For, as addressed sufficiently by Macey, James, and Ryan, many ideas mentioned exactly reflect the "American Dream" and the guiding thoughts that created modern democracy. But then my thoughts turned to the European renaissance when society began to adopt greater humanistic ideas; these ideas emerged because people began reading works similar to this oration. The ancient Greeks clearly placed value on the individual working to better him/herself so that they could actively contribute to society. Freedom was emphasized, they took great pride in the fact that they were splitting from the norm. 



Audience and Pathos


I'm always fascinated by how an audience influences one giving a speech and how it changes the rhetorical devices and forms used. I completely agree with what James posted about the kairos of Peracles' speech, and what he briefly mentioned about how Peracles personified Athens. I feel that Peracles knew his audience, and accordingly formed his speech to inspire within them ideals to benefit the community. His speech is replete with humanist ideas that he presents with great pathos in order to inspire the community. 



Moral Absolution 


I felt some form of moral force govern the thoughts Pericles used. He presented the ideals of Athens as morally the most correct of ideals. That being said, I don't feel I agree completely with Ryan and Macey's analysis that he was following the Sophist order of things. I feel that it was a bit more Socratic because it seems to me that he genuinely felt the things he was addressing were a question of morality. I don't think that he was pragmatic, he certainly didn't claim that he didn't have absolute knowledge; on the contrary he spoke with absolution guided by beliefs that seemed to be deeply planted within him. Perhaps in the sense that he used public speaking as a way to get his point across he was in line with the Sophists, but the philosophies behind his ideas felt far more Socratic. 

2 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting that the history of the Greeks that stood out to you (your first section) is also what I felt Pericles used to build his ethos in his oration. You kind of mentioned this in your second paragraph stating how Pericles "Personified Athens". I agree full heartedly. I feel like the Greeks did have a sense of pride in their government, and Athenians a pride in their state. I compare the thoughts of his listeners to many occasions I have had in my own life while listening to someone who showed true patriotism or "the american spirit". Once I felt this way about the speaker, I was much more inclined to listen to what they had to say. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to see the speech from your point of view, and think of this speech in comparison with the Renaissance. I like how you pointed out how the speech was directed to the individual and humanity, which are two major ideals for people in modern-day Europe. It makes you wonder just how many ways a good speech can be analyzed and used because of the many well put characteristics within.

    ReplyDelete