Sunday, September 28, 2014

Funeral Oration Breakdown

History:
John observes that because Pericles talked about how future generations are going to reflect on the Greek civilization, the Greeks also must have been interested in where they came from.
Spencer observes that while we regard the Greeks as very advanced in most aspects of their civilization, they probably had some traditions that we today would not understand.
Casey observes that the Greek pride expressed in this speech is natural and similar to the pride of various communities today.
Thank you peers, for elaborating on your respective observations.

Rhetoric:
I really liked the speech, I felt inspired and motivated to unite with Pericles in his civilization.
There was one thing that caught me off guard because it sounded kind of harsh when I read it, "...we do not say that a man who takes no interest in politics is a man who minds his own business; we say that he has no business here at all." (Line 3 on page 75) This stuck out to me and I was able to classify it as a special topic of intervention, where "the good" is contrasted with "the unworthy."

Philosophy/Drama:
I believe that the most important thing to consider in transforming this speech into a play would be the timing of the words, the pauses and volume of certain passages.  If Pericles was confident enough to really deliver this speech, then I'm sure he would be the perfect actor for the job.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the speech was powerful. I thought it was very interesting that he used such strong language to comment on life in Athens. Clearly, he cares strongly about his city and so do the people. Its a powerful implementation of ethos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those posts that you had mentioned in the first part of your post were very interesting.They caused me to think about our culture nowadays. Do we look to the past to learn from it? Do we look to the future to remind us of the consequences that will surely follow all of our actions. If we were always to keep a perspective of yesterday, today and tomorrow I think many mistakes could be avoided. Maybe that was part of the reason ancient Greece was so successful.

    ReplyDelete