Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I ate my feelings... and it's NOT my fault.

I sit here and my brain can’t focus on anything, because it is filled with so many thoughts and yet at the same time I can’t recall anything.  Without realizing, my stress and fear of accomplishing all my tasks has persuaded me to be completely useless.But at the same time this incapability does not make me the one at fault through Gorgias’ opinion in “The Encomium of Helen”.  

Gorgias forms his thesis in a similar way as to that of Socrates.  He states an initial truth and then uses logic and metaphors to further prove his thesis.  He focuses on the fact that the responsible party deserves the responsibility and that the persuader is responsible and the persuaded is not to be blamed.  Since Helen was persuaded by the gods she was therefore not responsible since “a god is superior to a human being in force, intelligence, etc.”  The gods take the responsibility. 


There have been many times where I have been persuaded by my emotions, my fears, and even God.  I remember one moment where fear overtook my body and I do believe that I am not responsible for my actions.  I was nineteen years old and was being pursued or rather stalked by a twenty-nine year old man.  Not ready for marriage and not interested in marrying this man, I thought I successfully avoided him by returning to Utah for my studies.  He called.  He messaged.  I avoided.  One day, he left a voice message on my phone.  I listened and the stress and emotions overtook my body.  He was coming here for a job interview.  Would I never be free?  And persuaded by my emotions and without thinking, I ate four Krispy Kreme doughnuts in about thirty seconds.  I’m not responsible for this irrational behavior though, as Gorgias proved, the stress was to blame.

3 comments:

  1. Though I cannot say that I feel empathy for you on the matter (well, nothing that extreme), your experience must have certainly been a scary thing. Surely, the stress and trauma were to be held responsible for your rapid doughnut binge. Rousing my own emotions, you have successfully rallied me to support your justification in slamming doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting! Your emotions were the irrational persuasive influence. I would like to know how you felt after eating the donuts... Were you able to self-talk to calm yourself down and think clearly and stop worrying about the old guy? In my experience, positive self-talk (rational, verbal arguments) is a great way to persuade myself to think clearly or calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason this post just made things click for me. Our own emotions, something within, have the greatest potential to persuade and sway our actions by first influencing our thoughts. So really, if someone wants to persuade anyone to do anything, they need to access their emotions. It is now my opinion that pathos is the most effective means of persuasion over logos or ethos. Anyone else agree or disagree? And why?

    ReplyDelete