Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pride, arrangement, and sophistry

History:
Like others (including Katie), I found, through Pericles’ speech, a strong sense of Athenian pride. Unlike Katie, though, I don’t feel that it was any more excessive than any other nation. I don’t feel that pride and tradition specifically characterize the Athenians. Pericles talks about the strength and tradition of Athenians and compares it with Spartans. Almost every culture, even today, does that same sort of thing. Think about it: the United States builds itself up and prides itself in its strength and military. The U.S. compares itself with other ‘inferior’ countries all the time. Even within the U.S. there’s competition among states. Texans (and Oregonians) pride themselves in their patriotism, sports, and almost every other aspect of the state. To sum it up, although this speech does make a compelling argument about the pride and tradition, and could very well explain the history of those people, I don’t think it is out of the ordinary for these characteristics to be a part of a community.
Rhetoric: 
I was very interested with the arrangement of Pericles’ speech. To go back to the history that I talked about earlier, pride is a central theme in both the language and in the arrangement. I noticed that although there is some deviation in that theme in the beginning, the theme always goes back to that. Here is a brief overview of the main points (to show the arrangement):
-          Intro of how he got information- personal experience that is credible
-          Shows reverence by suggesting that a speech might not be enough to honor the soldiers (persuasive techniques for arguing against what he is saying?)
-          Praise of the city
-          These men fought for this
-          You should too!
-          Men will be honored and remembered forever
-          So be like them.
-          Find comfort where you can, but stand up and be courageous.
The pride that he invokes and plays with really becomes powerful in encouraging the citizens to participate and be patriotic. It always circles back around to pride. This is a very persuasive technique.
Philosophy: 

I feel like Pericles embodies the sophists in many ways. Not only does he help to create and insight, but he also induces beliefs. Like other sophists, he focuses on the crowds and has an amoral (or relative morality) stance. His speech is long-winded and directed toward the large group. There does seem to be a bit of morality, but I feel that it’s more relative- he praises certain qualities that Athens has, but were other countries to possess those same qualities, they aren’t praised. In fact, it would be a bad thing (in the eyes of the Athenians). 

2 comments:

  1. I like your well laid out arrangement of pericles address. The first two points you made sum up well how I felt through the first page of his oration. I was honestly a little taken aback while I read through that first part. He clearly was trying to persuade his audience early on in his oration, and make a "splash". I feel like if he hadn't backed off a bit like he did and build his ethos through praising Athens and "Greek Pride", that perhaps his argument in the end would not have been as successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I analyzed it for arrangement too! You make a good point about how it all comes back to pride. Pride in the nation would certainly lead others to fight the good fight. I compared this speech to Lincolns Gettysburg address, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete