Sunday, September 28, 2014

Democratic Organization

Democratic History

“Orgullo” was the first initial word that came to my mind when I read the famous funeral oration given by Pericles. “Orgullo” means “pride” in the spanish language. Although, most of the previous blog posts have mentioned the pridefulness of Pericles in his address towards the bravery of the Athenian civilization, I think it was most interesting when he talked about the type of democratic government that their civilization had established. When it all comes down to it, the Athenian civilization is the heart and mind of early day democracy. “Our constitution is called a democracy because power is in the hands not of a minority but of the whole people.” Little did they know, this ingenious form of government that they had established would have an enormous impact on many future civilizations to come. He can be prideful about all the things he wants but in reality, it’s the form of government that really deserves the attention.


Ethos is credibility 

Unbelievably intriguing is the only phrase I can use to describe the manner in which Pericles presents himself. It flabbergasts me the way he comes across as so arrogant and completely undermines the fact that he even has to address this audience. He makes kind of a mockery in the fact that people come up and make these epideictic oratory speeches when really it’s not necessary at all and it’s an overall joke. However, strikingly enough, I think this almost seems to make him more of a credible source. It makes it seem like he is being more real with the people because he has nothing to lose. In a very strange sense, I feel like he became more credible just because he showed that him speaking isn’t even necessary. Though this is a different way to build his ethos, I would argue that it worked in a unique way.


Philosophy


It didn’t take me long to realize that I absolutely agree with Macey Richardson’s post. I think that Pericles absolutely took a more sophist stance as he tried to persuasively boast about Athens and it’s greatness. Macey Blazeard as well piggy backed off of Macey R and I would definitely suggest that Pericles standing on a platform is great symbolism of his previously mentioned “orgullo”. 

3 comments:

  1. First off I love languages and thought it was interesting to see that aspect in the post. Also I thought it was interesting that you encouraged his pride in a way by praising their form of government. Also you said that he picked at having to do these epideictic orations which makes me wonder if he even did in the end. There were a lot of other interesting aspects that make you question what he was really trying to get across or if he was just their to show off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your insight on how Pericles' pride and honesty about him speaking gave more ethos to you. I often think that today we expect the speakers at such events are honored tho speak, and think of it as a tribute to one that they lost. Pericles was obviously not close to every single soldier that had fallen, and I can see where he does not see it fit that he speaks. I think he would have liked a more intimate setting for the soldiers so proper respect could have been paid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your point you make in the first paragraph. The point I make in my post is similar, I wrote about how it was interesting how Pericles mentioned the future in his address, I don't think they could have beveled how monumental their ideas and form of government would be to the western world.

    ReplyDelete