Tuesday, September 16, 2014

HOW Could I Fall For That?!

As I read through some of the blogs posted I ran across a number of contradictions; one of which I would like to point out. In the blog "Did I miss something here?" by Courtney B she pointed out that she found little to no logic (use of logos) in the speech by Gorgias in persuading his listeners to rid Helen of blame. On the other hand, in the blog written by Hailee Richards she argues that Gorgias used logic to prove his point.
Ultimately, the lexis of this speech or "how" he presented his speech made powerful, persuading points. Whether with an appeal to logos or pathos Gorgias is able to persuade us all (to an extent) to reconsider the decision made by Helen to run off with another man.
I find it incredible his ability to relate to the audience in such a way to ease the guilt or pain of our past irrational choices. He ultimately claims that the blame cannot be upon Helen. In many ways, it seems as though Gorgias is only justifying the situation but his ability to persuade is powerful because he recognizes that all audience members have justified as well. As a result, the audience almost wants to believe it wasn't her fault because then, inherently, the blame of past choices of the audience diminishes somehow.

This has brought me to think of past choices in my life that, whether right or wrong, seemed to lack good rational. I am reminded of a football game that I played in. I had been suffering from a hernia for the majority of the season. In one of the last games of the season I tackled the running back with the ball. As I got up after the tackle I quickly realized that the top of my pinky finger had burst off. The finger had been between my helmet and the opponent's when we collided.
As a result, the paramedic checked it out during the game. Although continuing to play seemed to be not an option somehow the look of my coach or my teammates, or even the thought of looking at myself in the mirror caused me to want to play. Looking back, I realize now that it had everything to do with pride. I was a victim of my own pride.

Gorgias, along with the rest of us, realize that we fall for a lot of "dumb" ideas as a result of emotion, especially emotion in the heat of the moment.

3 comments:

  1. Huh, I didn't even think of his speech as an appeal to their humanity or to their past guilt. Thank you for that insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that your moment of persuasion to stay in the game was done in the heat of the moment. Sometimes, we do allow our rationale to be blinded by emotions (as was the case in my post as well) and while it feels right at the time, it can often lead to severe consequences. You did a good job in backing that up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Football has a way of making people do things that wild otherwise seem irrational. The "put me in coach!" view is one that has always puzzled me.

    ReplyDelete