Monday, September 8, 2014

Were the Greeks big sports fan?

Modern Day Olympic Rings created in 1910
After BYU football’s big win over Texas this last Saturday all that I have been able to think about is football. So what about the Greeks? Did they have sports? If so what was their purpose in Greek society?

Yes, I better be on the jumbo-tron on Thursday night.
This is my fail at a tough-guy-Bruce-Wayne-Batman pose.
Enjoy. 
  Ancient Greece’s contribution to the world of sports can be summed up in two words: The Olympics. The games were held in honor of Zeus and were the origin of the games as we know them today. Geeks were passionate about the games as they evolved. I guess you could say I’m passionate as well, what do you think?


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am passionate about sports, but not nearly to the extent that the Greeks were and definitely not as much as you are. No costumes or war paint for me. Still, I do enjoy playing sports when time permits, especially soccer. Even though I am not nearly as dedicated to the recreation and lifestyle, I can see the merit in such an area of activity and why the Greeks put so much dedication into the Olympics. There's nothing quite like the adrenaline from competition, participating in it or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha I love the post. Your a great fan and supporter of a great college football team. Good taste. I find it incredible that today's society is so similar in many ways to that of ancient Greek. It's incredible to think that we, as a society, find so many similarities throughout all of time, especially with ancient Greek. To me it goes to show how advanced the Greek society really was for their time.

    ReplyDelete