Monday, September 8, 2014

Music to Fill the Moments

Music has always had a dominant presence in my life. My childhood memories consist of being in orchestra classes, performing, traveling to fancy concert halls, and competing for awards. Nowadays, the ear buds are always in and I organize the perfect soundtrack for my life. As it turns out, this lifestyle could just be the Greek in me. 

In my research, I found that though Greek pieces are still being recovered, we know through archaeological finds that live musical performances were included in everyday activities (including herding and rowing) in addition to special occasions


sources: http://www.lyravlos.gr/ancient-greek-music-en.asp
              http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/grmu/hd_grmu.htm

4 comments:

  1. Great post Macey. I wish music was a bigger part of my everyday life. I usually don't listen to music unless I'm driving in the car. Which musical instruments do you play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! I've played the viola for ten years. I've taken voice lessons (so the human voice instrument ? haha). And I am teaching myself piano. One day I want to learn guitar too!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with James in saying I wish music was more in my life than it currently is. I grew up playing the piano, but was too immature at the time to keep going and didn't realize how much I would regret not being able to play when I was older. I have taught myself the guitar over the last 5 years or so and I highly recommend doing that. It is a great instrument that you can make a full sound with and sing along with. I guess our desire to have music as a daily part of our lives isn't a new thought or feeling at all, given that there is evidence the Greeks felt the same. Great find, and great post!

    ReplyDelete