Tuesday, September 1, 2015

It all looks Greek to me

My undergraduate focus is economics, but I had no idea what that meant. As I have gotten into some of the more advanced classes involving calculus and advanced statistics, I no longer feel like I am in an economics program, but rather a Greek language program. When I look at my assignments I feel like this:

I never realized how many people influenced mathematics in the ancient Greek world. People like Pythagoras, Plato, Euclid, and many more. (http://www.storyofmathematics.com/greek.html )

They played a key role in establishing the foundation for much of the mathematics we have in our day, and although I am often times confused, if it wasn't for the Greek lettering used I would be so much more lost.

Just so you know how I feel here are a few small examples:

7 comments:

  1. I have to agree, I've often been grateful for the extra symbols. It's really interesting how we still use things that were developed so long ago to create things so radically new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^ ditto!! my goodness... every time I look at ANY math problem I have to pause to let my heart rate calm, and let my brain catch up...good to know that the symbols that actually help solve the problems have roots in ancient Greek culture... thank you Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once wanted to be a math major. It was really only for a couple days because I realized I would be confining myself to a lifetime of mathematics. As much as I love math I couldn't do that to myself. Greek symbols as well as Greek mathematicians are to blame -I mean thank- for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wondered what it would be like to take a Greek class. Learning more about the roots of society, you know? But, seeing as math is not really my thing, maybe I should steer clear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Math was so simple before they put the alphabet in. Adding another one didn't make it any easier. Heaven help you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was pumped when I saw you wrote about this! I am an Econ major as well and I have noticed the same thing! Sometimes I look at my Econ homework and wonder if I am writing novels in Greek! It is amazing to see the influence that the Greeks had on Math and the use of their alphabet in the development of theory in different fields including Economics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isaac, I appreciate this blog post because it directly relates to our MCom class. Speaking the language of your audience is so important to your success. You never want to submit a document only for your audience to respond, "That's all Greek to me!" Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete