Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Way to put on a show

So I attended the play on Monday, you know spent eight dollars and left right after my job at the BYU Landry ended with some high hopes.

Personal experience with the Greeks and their plays has been pretty high. I helped put on Antigone  in high school.

But this.... as much as I love Grecian theater and the play-writes, I would have to say that I would have had to watch that Looney Tunes episode where Elmer and Bugs performed viking opera in order to get the same emotional response the actual play left me with instead of this production.



Tragedies showcase a major flaw and the characters tempt fate and while you feel sad for them, you also realize that they did get what they deserved or in the words of that one song: "they had it coming".

But this production didn't deliver it so much. I would understand and be able to feel more for the characters if the chorus didn't try so hard to be funny. The whole thing was meant to be about justice and the right to properly grieve, and Electra learning the folly of trying to serve her own sense of justice upon the world. The chorus is supposed to guide us through the play so we can understand and learn so that we as humans do not make the same mistakes.

To er is to be human and the plays are supposed to bring that out.

But in this case, I would stick to the book than jump up on stage thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment