Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Not Just How, But Where

First off, I'd like to say that I couldn't stand Electra.  Not the play, the character, and not because of her drama, but because of her attachment to grief and revenge.  I have been severely wronged in my life, but to hold on to that pain and anguish and grief would be to hold on to the past.  And, as seen in the play, once she fulfilled her plan of taking revenge, she had nothing to live for.  I, personally, have chosen to live a life focused on forgiveness, optimism, and making the changed I can make in my life to improve it.  I feel like Electra could take that advice.

Her delivery of her grief was on par, as she was as dramatic as she could have been in her wild and "loud" hand gestures, defensive and indignant body language, and exasperated and offended tone.  The other characters also utilized such mechanisms of speech and performance to present their opinions, emotions, or stories.  As Chandler mentioned, the use of the drums during ominous or suspenseful portions of the script helped set a beat and rhythm for the delivery of lines.  It was a fascinating way to incorporate music to the point of adding effect, but not too much to drown out the spectacular stage skills of these actors and the tragedy being presented.

In addition to how these actors and actresses spoke, wailed, moved, and behaved, I wonder if the visual setting of where the events took place can be included in the canon of delivery.  I found interesting symbolism from the pillars and construction set-ups where the dialogue took place: metal bars as a scaffold to assemble upon, yet pieces of pillars broken and spray-painted strewn across the ground.  The setting of the scenes was in a constant push and pull of building and tearing down, a parallel to the family ties being strengthened or weakened within this family as arguments rage, siblings are reunited, and lethal revenge is taken.  It seems that the director knew the setting would have a rhetorical effect on the delivery of this play and sought to take full advantage of it.

1 comment:

  1. Ally, thank you for helping me understand the scaffolding and the graffiti among the broken pillars. The ancient/modern theme was something I had been trying to decipher in the back of my mind throughout the entire play. You draw excellent parallels between the family and the set.

    I know it was a little frustrating to watch a character reverse on his or her convictions. But I guess Electra is human. I know I have done that very think in my life!

    ReplyDelete