Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Fomo is Real

The other day I was at a ward activity when I joined a conversation with some of my friends. They were joking around about one of my friends' serious case of "fomo" (fear of missing out). As they teased her about the struggle of deciding whether or not to be responsible versus procrastinate some assignments she had to do, I laughed and joined in the teasing.


After a little bit, I started to wave goodbye as I explained to them that I had to go pick something up from a friend as I hadn't been able to do it all week and she was finally home at that moment. Bla, bla bla.


Just before I walked away, someone said, "Alright, so whose apartment are we all going to?" Without much thought, I changed directions and started following them instead.


"Actually, I'll just go with you guys."

Of course, then they all started laughing at me.

3 comments:

  1. Everyone's experienced this. Nobody will admit to it, obviously, because people like to say they march to the beat of their own drum. But really, most people like to follow the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FOMO is definitely a thing! I think social media communication has played a major role in that. We see what our friends are doing all of the time via Facebook and Instagram and whatever else. But we just see the awesome, cool things they want us to see. Then we look at our lives and think, "Hey, I'm missing something. I'm not doing all that all the time. I'm just sitting here studying." Interesting how we can be persuaded by images. Interesting how people present themselves on social media. Good post, Alexis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man.... the dreaded FOMO! The crazy thing is that it takes almost no effort on everybody else's part to convince! Its an inner persuasion that really is not caused by anyone else but yourself. I wonder if that's a real thing.... inner rhetoric or something like that? Well all I know is that I had plenty of late nights my freshman year because of FOMO. Its almost a disease!

    ReplyDelete