Saturday, September 12, 2015

Preaching to the Chorus

This is me.

5 ft, loaded with attitude and armed with a brain that just won't stop.

I have to say that if this was about Greeks in general I would throw in a witty comment about their amazing food but this is Ancient Greece we're talking about though I'm sure the food in the ancient world was amazing too because it had to start somewhere right.

But for a while I was stumped, until I remembered that in High School I was in Drama and we talked about these crazy innovators in regards to the arts.

Upon research and reading Greek Theatre: Tragedy and Comedy well as much as I could without having to pay for an account being the cheap person that I am, I learned a lot. 

  The Greeks created the Satyr Plays, Comedies, and Tragedies to either make light of the problems they faced in an absurd fashion or to hammer down Morals that still ring true even in this day and age.

Their tragedies reflected mostly upon hubris or pride and how that mixed with another adjective, mostly ambition could allow someone to forget their roots and lead to disaster. On top of that the tragedies often warned us in the aspect of Tempting Fate, a common troupe that says that something will always happen no matter how much one can try to deride or stop it. 



Regardless, the Greek play-writes like Shakespeare have created truths that still ring true to us with Mythos loaded with lessons and morals that I would like to send to a few choice people (looking at you Washington D.C) so that maybe, maybe they can learn from and change their ways to ensure a better future for us. 

But in the end, it's still Greek to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment