Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Selling the Speedo

Growing up I never knew what water polo was. As far as I knew it was played with horses in a pool. It never really called my attention until high school. My best friend, Josh, wanted to play, but didn't want to do it alone. I gladly agreed to join with him, and we decided to head to our first practice that afternoon.
I walked onto the pool deck eagerly anticipating what would come. Our coach happily gave us our first "uniforms" and told us to change. I opened the bag, and saw a brand new speedo. At that moment I had a sudden change of heart.

I told Josh that water polo seemed cool, but I didn't think I could work the speedo. He laughed and grabbed me on the shoulder. He proceeded to explain to me that the sport wasn't about the speedo. I remember him comparing it to school, to cars, really to anything he could think of. He really wanted me to play with him.


Finally, he reminded me that as freshman in high school, polo was the edge we needed to get girls. With that he had me hooked, and we walked back to the pool deck in our new uniform.

Obviously I'm not proud of what it took to persuade me. However Josh knew me well. He appealed to my interests.  He was my best friend and I believed just about everything he told me at the time.

Either way I grew to love the sport!

3 comments:

  1. Friends, especially in high school, are so much more persuasive than they seem. I was convinced to do some pretty ridiculous things by my high school buddies. Fortunately, we grow out of wanting to impress friends and girls--or at least I hope we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played water polo in high school as well! I can remember the kids who came out on the pool deck suited up in their "Jammers" for their first practice because they were too afraid to wear a speedo. Well needless to say after a three hour of practice with constant "persuasion" from the upperclassmen those kids soon learned that in water polo, wearing a speedo was the cool thing to do. Weird right? I'm glad I had older siblings who played water polo so I didn't make that mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend's information may not have been the MOST relevant, but it worked! Josh was clearly familiar with your interests to guide the conversation into a persuasive argument.

    ReplyDelete