Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Finding Support from Those Without




It's difficult enough to prepare an eulogy for a man who died under relatively pleasant circumstances- let alone a mass burial for soldiers who expired during a failed excursion.  I suppose the main reason such a speech seems a daunting task lies in a general feeling of inadequacy: How, under any circumstance, could one person deliver the proper words to accurately convey the emotions, thoughts, and dreams of another?

In the Spring of 2013, my father passed away unexpectedly from a pulmonary embolism.  As we made preparations for the funeral, there was particularly heavy deliberation surrounding the speakers, and I ultimately felt, as Pericles stated, "Our belief in the courage and manliness of [a man] should not be hazarded on the goodness or badness of [another] man’s speech. ... The man who knows the facts and loves the dead may well think that an oration tells less than what he knows and what he would like to hear."  Despite what Isaac said in his post, that's exactly what I wanted from the speakers at my dad's funeral: An admission that, no matter how hard they tried to capture his essence, their words couldn't compare in the slightest to the experiences and personal history I had with him.  Frankly, I really wish tradition didn't dictate the necessity of attempt.

Assuming the Grecians felt similar ties to their loved ones, Pericles' words and decision to speak instead of the reason those men fought in the first place created a greater sense of healing and closure for those in attendance.

In speaking so deliberately of each soldier's dedication to the valor of Greece, Pericles' call to action is difficult to miss: True to the form of encomium, he exhorts his audience, "It is for you to try to be like them."  Of all people to attempt to convince of the necessity to uphold an empire, I feel the greatest success is to be had with the bereaved- so much raw emotion comes from such circumstances, and it can prove destructive.  However, Pericles' invitation provides a route through which to channel that energy: Raising children, enjoining the war effort, and attempting to remember that "One’s sense of honor is the only thing that does not grow old, and the last pleasure when one is worn out with age, is not, as the poet said, making money, but having the respect of one’s fellow men."

6 comments:

  1. I think that Pericles mentioned the quote you used because he wanted to take some of that burden off. he wanted people to know that the soldiers actions stand for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with your last comment and that is what I wrote my blog post about - this speech is about calling others to action, using the example of the fallen soldiers to rally others in support for Athens during the war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as with Laycee and Chloe that the actions of the soldiers stood on their own, and that they should look to the future rather than the past. The more we linger on it the harder it is, even though no matter what it is hard. Sorry for your loss Jared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I really wish tradition didn't dictate the necessity of attempt." That is an awesome line. I may quote you someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I am in awe at your post. It really is impossible to describe in words what someone did- to really give them justice. I am, however, grateful for those who knew the deceased better than I and were able to give a glimpse into their character through a speech, and help me to understand them more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the way you made this personal. In Pericles' situation I agree with you that there was a call to action to uphold the empire. It's almost like in situations of loss, we need someone to tell us what to do, where to go. I have felt that in my life in overcoming grief, and I think Pericles does an excellent job at uniting and directing the audience as they mourned

    ReplyDelete