Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Thanks, Jonathan!

Utah State Campus
My entire childhood I never wanted to attend BYU. Growing up in Provo, I thought it would be ridiculous to stay home and be a Zoobie. So, as soon as I graduated high school I was in Logan hating on BYU. But while in Mexico for two years I realized how unique the opportunity to attend a church sponsored school really was. Although I had more respect for BYU students, I still wasn't willing to apply. What would my Utah State friends say?  I would betray those I came to love in Logan.
Me as a total Zoob!

With just about 6 months to go a former companion, Jonathan, told me I should got to BYU. I quickly denied him, but he was persistent. He told me that he knew we both needed good friends to be around after returning home. And he told me that I would find those friends at BYU. I thought about who I would hang around with at Utah State and I knew I needed BYU much more than it needed me. Jonathan knew exactly what was important to me and how to persuade me to join him at BYU. His timing couldn't have been better--he knew I was thinking about how to return home and stay active.

 He was right about finding friends at BYU. Almost two years after our conversation he introduced me to who is now my wife.

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to hear a positive story about persuasion. I think certain people are placed in our paths to persuade us to do good things that will change our lives forever. And I'm guessing that it wasn't the wrong choice to go to Utah State University, but it wasn't yet the right timing. How cute that you met your wife because of the persuasion of a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice my friend! I'm not a USU hater but I sure love BYU! But it is true, you are much more likely to be persuaded by someone who you know cares about you that you are anything else. There is emotion attached to it and when that happens you are much more likely to make choices that you wouldn't otherwise make. If we can appeal to peoples emotions, our ability to influence others can become greater

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same exact way, prior to coming here! It's interesting how those who are important to us have so much weight in our decisions.

    ReplyDelete