Monday, September 21, 2015

No Friend Would Know Him

I had the opportunity to listen to the BBC radio broadcast version of Electra, and I have to admit, it was a very entertaining piece. The voice talents did a great job of portraying the characters as well as the emotions of every bit of dialog. I think I may have enjoyed the radio version more than I would have enjoyed the performance because what I heard about the live performance sounded very different.

Like Chandler D and Dylan P, I found the narration of Orestes' death quite fascinating. It was definitely my favorite part. I believe it was the amount of vivid description that really got me pumped up. As I reclined on the couch with my eyes closed, I imagined the scene as Orestes entered the arena with crowds cheering. From what I read on other posts, the narrator in the broadcast utilized a much more serious and awe-inspiring delivery. Instead of a mocking tone and silly drum beats, my narrator truly honored Orestes with his words and employed somber tones when speaking of his death.  The line that stuck out to me, showing the epic, descriptive nature of his narrative was this: No friend would know him. After the horrific crash at this Olympic event, the scene was so gruesome that his nearest and dearest could not identify him save they had witnessed it themselves. Not only the words (logos), but the build up of Orestes' greatness (ethos) and the appeal to Orestes' family's emotions (pathos) guided the narrator in his delivery, which left them and I in silent awe as we listened to the story.

I really enjoyed the BBC broadcast of Electra for many reasons apart from this small section, but this was definitely my favorite. In closing, I will leave you with this small token that probably accurately reflects the scene just before Orestes started that chariot race (well, in the made-up story at least).

Created using ImgFlip and Google Images.

3 comments:

  1. I watched the film, and I can imagine how it can be different listening to a radio broadcast. I focused more on the characters' actions, the film location, the facial expressions, etc. You just had sounds, which gave you the opportunity to conjure up images in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I watched the play, and as I heard the death of Orestes, I thought it interesting how the light-mood of the story of his death made it a lot harder on Electra, because it felt even more like nobody was there to mourn; that she was very alone. It made it easier for Clytemnestra to be happy with the death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your analysis of the purpose of the delivery. By making a joke of his death, Electra feels more alone in her mourning and Electra's mother would have received the message better because she had been hoping for his death. In the radio version, the mother was actually distraught over the death after realizing that, even though she needed him to die, he was still her son, her baby boy. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete