Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Missing Out by Being Filled In

Cute gal texts: "Have you ever heard of The Weepies?"
Cute dude texts back: "Oh yeah, I love them!  World Spins Madly On is one of my favorites."

...Not.
Using writing to communicate on a more personal level can be dangerous!

Along with the varied miscommunication mentioned in others' posts, writing gives us a pause between delivering our words and the audience receiving them.  This gap actually allows for us to fictitiously recreate ourselves.  I confess, numerous times I've been Facebook messaging or texting someone when they drop a name, place, or idea that I'm not familiar with. In that instant my pride and resources kick in; instead of asking "Oh, what's that?  I'm not familiar with it," I scour the Internet for quick and simplistic information so I can make an educated reply.

The general idea of this goes along with how one can use a certain tone or set of words to depict themselves differently in writing than they are in real life.  I haven't really thought about it until now, but that lack of being genuine with myself and others isn't something I'm a fan of.  Yeah, I look well-informed and part of what's going on, but I miss out on that interaction I would usually get in person, where I inevitably do have to ask what on this good Earth they're talking about.  I miss out on giving them the opportunity to willingly, and perhaps excitedly, share their knowledge with me on a personal level, potentially furthering discussion and debate and friendship.

2 comments:

  1. I am guilty of this. I just want to be loved. Jk, but really. Thank you for bringing that up. That is not a healthy way to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I feel like a bit of a terrible person, but I ranted about this in my post, "Your friends TALK to my friends! How nice!" There are a lot of views on thus texting romance things, it seems.

    ReplyDelete