Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Notes? Nope........ Kindling



Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but ever since I’ve started in school I have felt like taking notes does absolutely nothing for me. We have been told our entire academic careers that taking notes would enhance our learning and help us get better grades. I don’t doubt that for some people this is true, but for myself I just can’t relate. I honestly can’t remember the last time that I actually went back and reviewed my notes that I took in class in preparation for a homework assignment or test. In fact I use my notes most when it’s time to start a bonfire. It is interesting because I have always been puzzled as to why I never went back and checked my notes in preparation for exams. Of course this would be the most logical thing to do.


It wasn’t until our last lecture that I started to get an idea as to why I never used my notes. In looking back at all of my past notebooks it is very apparent that what I was writing down was only a small fraction of what I was truly learning. The experience that I was having in the moment of learning could not be replicated in mere words. I did my best to do so in writing my notes but it just didn’t reflect my true learning. In fact I think that I have struggled with the same problem in essay writing as well. I just can’t accurately describe in words what is going on in my head, and it is so unsatisfying. Ironically I am experiencing the same phenomenon as I am writing currently. If only there was a way to truly communicate the learning experience using mere words on a computer screen.

2 comments:

  1. It's really difficult to confine a complex idea or emotion into words, and I think it's made even more difficult when we have to write them down. A lot is lost in the translation from thought to words to written statements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that always interests me is how we all have different ways of learning. Some people learn well visually, others aurally, and others kinetically. I'm an aural learner, and it sounds like you are too. I think that notes are an attempt to help the visual learners as well.

    ReplyDelete