Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Am I Like Totally Annoying?

Whether it is a thank you card, a newspaper article, dumping a boyfriend through text, or a note- "Will you go out with me?  -Circle Yes or No", written text will never do justice to the power of being present in the moment and hearing or saying it for oneself.  It is nearly impossible to identify the correct emotion behind the text- which can cause all kinds of confusion.  We are emotional beings with creative minds; we rely on how we feel in the moment and what we have experienced in the past to interpret writing or text before us.  I agree with Kekoa Riggin in the fact that texting is one of the greatest communication barriers we have today.  I would, however, like to focus more on the emotional side.
Boys will be Girls

In the YouTube clip "Boys Will Be Girls" there is a part where the boy texts his girlfriend to see if she'd closed the garage door, to which she responds simply, "yes".  The boy explodes and eventually dumps her because he reads into the text as if she could care less about him and is annoyed by him.  I can’t even tell you how many times either I or another has been offended by a text, or super hesitant to respond because of falsely analyzing the emotion behind the text.  I responded to a friend through text who had just gone through a break up by trying to comfort him and liven his spirits.  He took it as sarcasm, texted a few hurtful words to me, and never spoke to me again… all because of a stinking miscommunication of emotion through texting!  
 
I've also found myself freak out when I have just told someone about an exciting event, only to have the response "cool".  When really they felt more COOOLL!!!!!! It can also work to the opposite effect, texting "COOOLLL!!!" when really I could care less.  Texting is often misleading, difficult to interpret, and untrue to our emotions.  Although I am grateful for the easiness of texting, there is something to be said about face to face communication, or at least a phone call; it can save relationships!   

4 comments:

  1. I think one of the biggest factors in this is facial expressions. While tone of voice can be crucial, faces often give away true emotion--and in much more truthful ways than emojis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree Alisa. I wrote a little bit about that in my post. It is easy to hide behind electronic methods of communicating. Just like right now you don't know if I'm crying about the line at the testing center being so long that I didn't take my test. You have no idea about any of that. It didn't even cross your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this makes me wonder wither Socrates was right and texting/writing instead of an oral delivery is wrong. texting has many positive but it also has a LOT of negative side effects. It always leaves you guessing what the other person is trying to get across.

    ReplyDelete