Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Comical?

I was about to write about something completely different until I read various posts about the humor in the live performance of Electra. This was definitely not my experience. I watched the MGM film version which was comical in some aspects, but not intentionally.

The movie built up this dark seriousness that pretty much persisted throughout. For instance, even when something 'happy' (like when Orestes came back after succeeding in killing Aegisthus) happened, the music was almost as deary as when Electra and Orestes walk away guiltily at the end. Additionally, the fact that most of the action took place in this isolated village added to the lonely that Electra obviously felt. On top of this, the melodramatic movements and delivery of each line (and pause) built up a certain kind of tension. I have to admit that I literally laughed out loud for much of the movie because of how melodramatic the characters were in every one of their responses. However, I do think that all of this succeeded in showcasing Greek drama and how it strives to stick to a specific plot line and prove a point about humanity (in this case jealousy, rage, betrayal, guilt, etc.). Although, a bit of intentional comic relief wouldn't have hurt.


Also, as Chloe mentioned in her post, in most of the first quarter of the movie, the characters barely speak and then, when there is dialogue, it's in Greek. However, because I've watched a bit of foreign film/television shows, the subtitles didn't bother me too much. I actually think that the fact the the movie was in Greek rather than English added to the ethos of it all. If it had been in English, it would've had a bit of the 1960's The Ten Commandments feel. (It still kind of had that feel.)

Overall, the production was convincing as a Greek drama in the way it was produced. I could feel the tension and pick up on the emotions and themes of each character--even if I was laughing at their every dramatic gaze into the sky.

2 comments:

  1. Oh you poor soul. I mean, it's fascinating to watch that in Greek and get all these different vibes, but for it to be completely serious, I would have died. The comedic relief in the play helped me not laugh out of ridiculousness that these crazy Greeks were wrecking their lives with justice and grief and revenge. Props to you for sticking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do youthink your additional frame of reference changed your impression of the movie? The original versions might be difficult for us to understand without the help of professors. The play that many student saw on Monday had an additional frame of reference from our day and age. Maybe it was the frame of the 1960's that you saw more than the content of the story.

    ReplyDelete