Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Family Castle

Norwich Castle keep, 2009.jpgThe Norwich city castle keep stands upon a hill at the center of Norwich in Norfolk County, England. It has stood there for nearly a millennium. Its walls once attracted soldiers. Now they attract tourists. And for at least several centuries (and probably more) these walls have surely attracted the attention of my ancestors. It's the family castle.



When I say ancestors I mean these people:



And these people too:



And don't forget this good looking pair:



That's my family. Or at least some of them. I've visited the castle several times and each time I can't help but wonder who else has beheld its massive presence. My family line in Norwich probably extends back to the Norman invaders of the 11th century who constructed the castle. Or they could have been among the inhabitants of the region who fought against the Normans. More likely I have plenty of family on both sides of the conflict. Every detail I hear about the history of this impressive structure helps me realize part of my history. Because no matter which fact I hear I know my family was probably there when it happened.

I don't know if I'm related to the kings and earls and dukes who lived there but I do know (to a near statistical certainty) that my forefathers knew them. I know my progenitors saw the castle walls. They probably traversed the battlements. Some may have well died there. Others no doubt were born there. It has become to me a family castle.



2 comments:

  1. That would be super cool to be able to go to England and be able to see the beautiful landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that the invaders built a castle that now brings tourists to the country that they were invading. They must have gotten a real foothold on the land to have enough time to build a castle that large. Or perhaps they had already taken over the government by then...

    ReplyDelete