Thursday, January 8, 2015

Reborn from the ashes

“What if I told you insane was working 50 hours a week in some office for 50 years at the end of which they tell you to [leave], ending up at some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time” -Steve Buscemi’s character in Con Air.
Rebirth is essential to life


Collectively, the people of the dark ages were insane. They destroyed everything that was right with Roman and Greek civilization and left the masses to rot in mediocrity. This dark period came to an end with a rebirth, a renunciation of all that the dark ages stood for. Francesco Petrarca, better known as Petrarch, is the definitive example of what The Renaissance was. Renaissance literally means rebirth. The Greeks and Romans had great civilizations, full of ideas and passions, imagination and progression. Then came the dark ages where that was lost. Petrarch brought them back to life. Without Petrarch there would have been no basis for the other renaissance men to build off of. First something must be born, then it can grow. Petrarch gave birth (or rebirth) to those ancient ideas.


Rebirth today is essential to progression. From business to religion and from individual to society, we must change if we are to survive.

  • Blockbuster thought redbox was a fad, and look how that turned out for them.
  • Scriptures say that without a rebirth, you cannot enter heaven.
  • When life throws a curveball you need to react, or get pegged.
  • Smoking was widely viewed as acceptable, until society said otherwise.


As for myself, I was content to live the mediocre life of an accountant. Focus on college so I can get a job so I can work so I can die. I was insane. Then I experienced my own rebirth. I studied how the renaissance stood for abandon old thoughts of meaningless life and embrace new ideas of make the most of life. I still will be an accountant, but now rather than count every moment, I will make every moment count.


2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of Petrarca going through and reading all of the old manuscripts he could find. I connected this to the scriptures in my mind, but in a different way that I thought might be interesting to you: When Joseph Smith was translating the Book of Mormon, he saw ancient manuscripts appear on his seer stone. In a very similar way to Petrarca, Joseph Smith was giving rebirth to the religion that was lost. As Petrarca was concerned with the writings and knowledge and language of the past, Joseph Smith was concerned with the truthfulness of the gospel. I just thought that would be cool to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this relates really well to Kevin's post on perspective. Life is what we make of it and we determine that based on how we look at things. The perspective we have helps us to make make every moment count.

    ReplyDelete