Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Connecting Generations: Pioneers, The World Wars, and 9/11

   As I tried to think of history, as well as my own history, many of my thoughts were drawn to big events in the world that I or my ancestors have personally witnessed. I remember several times sitting together as a family as we listened to some of my grandparents tell stories about our ancestors, or perhaps their own stories in connection with larger events. Many of the major stories included miracles from faith-filled pioneers or my own grandparents' experiences in the world wars and the great depression. While I gained a knowledge of these historical events in other places, I did not always appreciate the significance of the history. But, after learning that some of my own ancestors had made a personal footprint in these larger stories, I found that I had a greater personal connection and my appreciation increased.

   What about us? Although we are only college students, I feel that many of us already have made connections with larger events that we can share in order to make the next generations feel more connected with the past. I remember the day 9/11 happened. I was getting ready to go to my elementary school and my parents were watching the television. I didn't understand exactly what was happening and neither did many of my classmates. Our lack of understanding was clear when one of the other students had starting making airplane noises and making gestures with his hand of a plane blowing up into a building. My teacher quickly intervened to explain to us the seriousness of the situation. I remember that moment to be the first time that I began to understand the concept of great human loss and suffering.

I know that all of us probably remember the day 9/11 happened. I'm also sure that many of us have other stories that have connected them with larger events. While I believe history will always be taught by experts to benefit humans, I believe it is a personal duty of ours to help our descendants and other close ones to connect with the past through our own personal stories.

2 comments:

  1. Completely agree, future generations can really benefit from our own personal stories. If we die with knowledge that we haven't shared, it's hard for things to continue to progress in this life. What is recorded on Earth, is recorded in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, history will always be taught, but the history that is taught is often biased one way or the other. Personal histories often fill in the blanks that the textbooks miss. Good points!

    ReplyDelete