Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Frenchy Fairytale

Once upon a time, there lived a young maiden who studied the French language.

By once upon a time, I mean now; by a young maiden, I mean me; and by the French language... well, I mean the French language.


This semester is the continuation of my sixth year studying French, and in my time as an élève, I've studied a decent selection of French literature from the olden times. It is sometimes just plain disorienting to study the literature of the past, even when it's in your native language. So you can imagine my terror coming to BYU as a baby freshman and being presented with a poem by Charles d'Orléans written in Middle French.

Through these literature studies I have done, though, I have discovered a new past--one including people, places, and things that long preceded the establishment of my American homeland. I have discovered past thoughts and ideas that have shaped my life in ways I often don't even realize. I have discovered past thinkers that are so completely different from me...but then, not so different after all.


So even though I'll never be taught personally by Charles d'Orléans, my world is far different than his Middle Aged one, and I've never even been to France (I hang my head sheepishly), my knowledge of French language and culture has drawn a lasting tie between me and the past.


And that sounds like a happily ever after if I've ever heard one.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the ending of your post, and the clear connection that you have to the past now because of your studies of French. This is something that personally I need to work on. I desire strong connections to the past, both near past and more distant, but I seem to not be able to find the time or the right medium to make these connections. Your post has given me the idea to not look so hard for something to connect me with the past, but rather look at what I currently enjoy or study and find a natural connection there. Oh and I've been to Paris, it was worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the point of literature is to connect us to the past, but also to other places that we currently can't get to. So even though we can't travel to France anytime we want, I think the literature can transport us there anytime we read it. That doesn't mean that it isn't worth traveling there though, because I think it always is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day I will learn French too... It's one of the things on my bucket list, I've been studying it off and on throughout my life. But, there never seems to be enough time to practice or people to practice with, oh well.

    ReplyDelete