Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Sparks


How I would normally tell it: 

1. Sparks

2. Friends/Family

3. Here's the story.

 I had always wondered what it would be like to share a stage with a pop star. I was about 14 years old when I got called in for an audition to be apart of a singing group called, "4 real". It was absolutely everything that a teeny-bopper music loving girl could ever ask for! Not only were we going to be a singing group, but we were also going to have our own television show that would be broadcast throughout the U.S. #ohyeah. Over time, there were a few flops and big road bumps, but eventually we started to gain some credibility in the music world.

We beefed up our on stage set and spiced up our dance routines, which brought in a lot of calls for different shows throughout Utah. As the excitement was building, we were practicing harder and training longer so that we could keep the show momentum going. One day our manager called us in for a surprise meeting. With a huge smile on his face, he told us how proud he was for all that we've done, and knew that our hard work would pay off. He proceeded to tell us that someone apart of the Jordin Sparks touring team had requested for us to be the opening act for her stop in Utah! No words could describe how excited I was.

The day of the show arrived and all the excitement had boiled down and had turned almost completely into nerves. I was still that 14 year old tween-dreamer that had no clue what she was doing. Fortunately, the show went smoothly... no one forgot their lyrics or dance moves, and Jordin even sat backstage to watch us perform! We felt so honored to be apart of her production.

Revised version: 

1. Performing is Life!

2. Hiring staff at an audition/interview for another show going on tour.

3. Story time.

It has been said throughout history that [Nothing worth having comes easy.] I have been a witness to this as I learned the value of hard work preparing for this performance with Jordin. You would have thought I was a [kid going to Disneyland for the first time], when I found out I would be the opening act for Jordin! and it led to some of the best performing I had ever done.

[A performer has to consider every now and then what it truly means to perform? the definition of which can vary from entertainer to entertainer. For me personally, it means to balance your own fulfillment of joy with the desire to please an audience with your talent.] I wanted more than anything to fulfill this definition. I understood that the stakes were set high for this performance, and there was no time to waste.

[Endless, tiring and rugged rehearsals commenced for days at a time], and often we found ourselves absolutely danced out; But that didn't stop us from being the best opening act we hoped Jordin would ever have. [We had to remind ourselves often that we never thought we would be where we are, but our hard work and desires in the past proved to be the perfect catapult towards a bright future in performing.] Nothing would slow us down.

The day came, hair was done, sound check complete and the stage lights blinding. The Jordin Sparks we were about to share the stage with turned our desire to perform from a little spark into a undying flame. [From the first step on the stage to the crowd bursting into cheers and claps, we felt as if we were on fire.] It was a performance I will never forget.

You may have heard the popular social statement, ["ball is life" or, "food is life"... but for me, "Performing is life."] I see any opportunity to be on stage as another chance to fan that flame, and I know you wouldn't be disappointed if I was given another chance to grow closer to achieving my dance dreams through this show!

3 comments:

  1. That is really neat that you were able to share a stage with Jordan Sparks. While I was reading your stories, I was feeling you excitement because I have had a couple opportunities for meeting celebrities. It brought those awesome (for lack of a better term) memories back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool transition from this reminiscent teen recollection of such a "cool" event, to a very informative and inspirational piece about hard work and lifelong dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with A Em on the fact that the first one was very teenage like, but the second version was quite profound and thought out. It is amazing what can happen when we do a little bit of rhetorical adaptation. I'm sure that was a surreal experience though.

    ReplyDelete