Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Because Of Sister Cook

Because of Sister Cook

Kairos/Audience: Usually this is in Relief Society or a Sunday School class, usually on the topic of judgement or charity or reactivation or love.  Also usually, it can be a pretty short story because it's usually made in a comment by me.  I'll give the version of the story that I tell in more one-on-one conversations with people on the topics listed beforehand.

I was baptized when I was twelve-years-old.  And even then, it was only because that's when I joined Young Women's, and I couldn't very well go on the temple trips without having been baptized.  So my divorced parents jointly had me and my younger ten-year-old sister baptized on the same day.  All I remember is being on crutches at the time, and having a large amount of concern for how see-through my white jumpsuit would be.
So there I was, baptized and confirmed and ready to be socially accepted into the small clique of girls aged twelve through eighteen.  Yet the motivation behind my baptism didn't translate into my motivation to continue going to Church and living the gospel of Jesus Christ.  In fact, my social-based motivation did nothing bu backfire, as I moved away from the girls I felt so distanced by.
The only person who didn't judge was Sister Cook.
I turned thirteen, then fourteen, then fifteen, and then sixteen.  It wasn't really until I was seventeen-years-old that I realized I wasn't in a very good spot.  At that point, I didn't know where to go.  I truly was a lost sheep.
Sister Cook was a young, fashionable, and outgoing woman who taught the Young Women's lessons.  On the days I actually attended Church and my classes, she was there.  She would ask about my day, my school, my friends, my life.  She would teach, and giggle, and hug, and love.  Never did I receive a judging look, a sour comment, or a knowing acknowledgement that I was someone who needed to be "rescued."  I wasn't a task to her; I was a girl.  I was a girl who hadn't had the easiest upbringing, nor the foundation laid for a testimony.  I was a girl that enjoyed making others smile, and making Sister Cook laugh.  I was a girl in need of a mentor, not a tutor.  And that's what Sister Cook became to me: someone who I looked up to and wanted to be more like.  I wanted to be around her and learn from her because of the genuineness with which she spoke to me, listened to me, and loved me.  I wanted to hear her say "Ally, I just love having you here in class!"  She took the time, effort, and energy to see past my rough and tough and sarcastic exterior to an interior with insights, intelligence, and a need to understand the gospel.
Without Sister Cook, I wouldn't be here.
I wouldn't be at BYU, or endowed, or an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
But here I am.
Because of Sister Cook.

Just in Case You Didn't Know

Audience/Kairos: This is me, telling Sister Cook about the effect she has had on my life, of which she genuinely has never known the extent.

Sister Charity Cook,

How are you?  How's Scarlett?  And Jimmy?  I love seeing the photos on Facebook, and everyone smiling so big.  

I just wanted to write to share with you how much you changed my life in the little Florida meetinghouse when you were my Young Women's teacher.  You probably noticed it then, but you were taking someone who was inactive, not participating in lessons, not going to the temple, not feeling very good about themselves [Division; Whole/Parts], and helped her turn her life in a positive direction.  I was a lost sheep, and you were my shepherd [metaphor].  Every time you asked about my day, and listened to what I had to say,[parallelism] I was uplifted bit by bit to knowing you cared [Degree].  
I remember, after having known you for a while, learning that you currently couldn't have any children.  Though at the time you were childless, I know in your eyes we were your babies [antithesis], and you cared for us Young Women as you would have your own.  I hope it's okay to tell you that I honestly cannot remember a single lesson that you prepared and taught and tried to get us to learn from; but I can strongly remember the love that you had.  You were always so excited to see me at Church, and your enthusiasm contagiously helped me attend your lessons, where I'm sure I began to lay a foundation for my testimony to grow.  I had received so much judgement and criticism from other leaders and peers, that I wasn't expecting you to treat me as someone to be treasured.  When you did, I began to identify my divine identity and develop spiritual self confidence.  From there, bit by bit again, I began to see more of what the gospel could offer me.  After you left I became the only active Laurel, and began to show the same kind of love you had for me towards the girls I was a leader over.
True to your Charity, you have embodied Christlike love in name and spirit [metonymy].  You genuinely showed me that "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God" [Authority] by showing me how much I was worth to you.  Thank you so much for helping me become who I am today.

Ally

2 comments:

  1. I love the inspirational stories of those people figures that affect us forever. I like the change of audience, too, between the two stories. It added a genuine element.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was cool to see how you told the story in a letter format to someone who participated in the events, but had a different perspective so you focused more on the impact rather than explaining what happened.

    ReplyDelete