Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Begging To Give

First Version
Begging to Give

Kairos/Audience: I often tell this story to friends who express that they want to be more charitable.

As a missionary in Mexico, life was typically hard. We usually had enough money to buy dinner, and relied on other members to provide us lunch.  We walked all day either full and satisfied, or hungry and desperate. 

We weren't the only ones that were hungry, however. Many beggars and drunks wandered the streets looking for food. They knew us as "holy men" (as they would say) and typically asked us for help.

Although we didn't have much, we gave what we could. Some days were harder than others. We knew that what we gave out could be used later that night for dinner. But we held our purpose above our own interests and continued to help.

We were surprised by one homeless man who empathized with us. He noticed how hungry we were one day and gave all he had. He bought us tacos, and expressed how much he cared for us.

Most importantly, he didn't do it regrettably, or even hold anything back. He was happy he could sacrifice something to help someone else.

At that point I was determined to do the same. I was going to give all I had, and truly care for them. [199]

Second Version
The Gift of Giving

Kairos/Audience: I can use this to show we can learn something from everyone.

Day after day, for 5 months, I greeted "Don Juan" in the street. He wore the same tattered pants, dark overcoat (no shirt), and dirt always painted his feet black [personification]. He was usually drunk too [litotes].

Everyday he would ask, "can you help me with just a few pesos"? We usually carried around apples or bananas or mangos [polysyndeton] from all the visits we made, and offered him what we were carrying. He eagerly took our fruit and would "bless" us as we continued with our routine.

There was one day particularly difficult for us as missionaries. All of our appointments fell through, we hadn't eaten, and we had no money.  It was late and time for us to return back to our apartment. When Don Juan asked for his daily donation [alliteration], I promptly informed him we had nothing, displaying my irritation for the first time.

Don Juan noticed. "Have you eaten today?", he asked.

"No, we haven't had anything all day", I replied, once again showing my irritation.

At that moment Juan disappeared around the corner for a few minutes. He came back with a basket full of tacos al pastor. I couldn't believe it.

"As you know, I don't have much," he started, "But what I have is yours. I can't see you both so tired and hungry. Will you accept all I have?"

Those were the best tacos I have ever eaten (I've eaten a lot of tacos). Never before had I seen such compassion and selflessness. Were all beggars like this? [definition]Don Juan touched me that day [cause and effect]. After that, I no longer offered Don Juan food out of pity, or obligation. I willingly gave him what I had because I truly cared for him as he did for me [similarity/difference]

[290 words]

3 comments:

  1. I love the second story! Incredibly touching. I had similar experiences with people in Kiribati, the country where I served. It's amazing how people with so little can be so much more willing to give all they have, compared to people who already have so much. Thanks for that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story highlights the power of dialogue. By allowing Don Juan to have his own words, it makes the story feel more real and tangible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the second story best because you gave the man a personality and identity. While the first one elicited emotion, the second was more powerful.

    ReplyDelete