Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Don't Flush!

First version

Don’t Flush!

Kairos/Audience – I usually tell this story to my friends when they want to embarrass me or when we want to have a good laugh.

The other day I walked in to my room after having been up for some time and saw a lone sock on my dresser. My thoughts flashed back to the night before. “Was that a dream?” I questioned out loud as I looked at the sock with a perplexed look. I then ran to the bathroom hoping not to find what I thought might be there. At lass it was not a dream. I looked in the garbage to find one very wet sock.

I remembered back to that night when I had been using the bathroom, apparently in my sleep. That night I had gone to sleep with socks on my hands (that’s normal right?). When I was using the bathroom for some reason in my sleepy state I through my sock into the used toilet. Weird things happen when you are asleep. I sat there for a few seconds in my coma before I realized what I had done. I jumped up reached down and tried to save my drowning sock but to no avail. My sock was beyond saving. My sock was gone.

Second version

Sleep Flushing

Kairos/ Audience – telling my mom about my day.
This morning while like a Maryland storm; you think all is well and then suddenly it hits you like a brick wall [Simile]. The realization hit me as I looked up on my dry sock that sat up on my dresser. This dry stock made me think back to the wet sock that may or may not be in the trash at this point in time [comparison].

“Was that a dream?” or is that dream a reality [Anadiplosis].
At this point in time I raced to the restroom with regret [alliteration]. My eyes darted first to the toilet and then to the infamous garbage can hoping no to see what I thought I would [climax]. In the garbage I found what I was looking for; a sad sock who had been drowned [personification].
Is it really possible that I had forgotten the events of the night prior? Apparently so, it was impossible to deny it with this new found evidence [possible, impossible].  

It was at this point that I realized that what I had taken to be a dream was truly a reality. At this present time I started at the toilet thinking back to the night before when I had nearly flushed my sock farewell [past act, future act]. I was sitting on the seat almost in a slumber when for some reason I took the sock off my hand and put it in the toilet.  In my slumber state it took me several seconds to discover the mistake I had made. At this point in time I jumped up trying to save my sad sock but I was too late. I reached down and discarded my sullen sock with disdain.


3 comments:

  1. What on earth did I just read. IT's good to know we all have our strange stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that a sock became almost a personified dilemma right here? hahaha I liked the revised version... I felt like I was reading a junie b. jones story...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED the poetic language in your final paragraph! Glad it's not too soon to talk about your recent loss :')

    ReplyDelete