Thursday, November 19, 2015

Institutional Authority and Communication in Dance Teaching and Training


After dancing for most of her life, Haley's performance career had come to an end. The chronic bone spurs in her foot left her unable to perform with her university's top ballet company. Going up on pointe shoes was now entirely out of the question. Devastated at her inability to perform, Haley reflected on how she might be able to still participate and have a long-lasting effect in the dance world. She sat in the office of one of ballet teachers and mentors, Jennifer, to discuss some options. 

After explaining her concerns, Haley asked for guidance. "You know, Haley, a similar thing happened to me when I was young, dancing professionally. Arthritis in my hip prevented me from performing. Even though I couldn't dance myself, I knew I could influence and help others to dance. I went into teaching. You have a real understanding of ballet technique." Jennifer handed Haley a pamphlet off her desk. "I became a certified teacher through the American Ballet Theatre's National Training Curriculum [Authoritative Organization]. If you're interested, this course could really help you develop the teaching skills you need to stay connected to dance." 

"National Training Curriculum?" Haley asked. Jennifer continued, "ABT, the nation's top ballet company, came out with a standardized national curriculum in 2007 to qualify teachers and standardize ballet training around the country. Franco de Vita and Raymond Lukens, dancers and producers with ABT, met with a board of artistic and medical advisors to produce the safest and most effective method of training based on anatomy, nutrition, and overall bodily health [Influential Event]. They created a national syllabus and a grading rubric to evaluate the quality of teachers through this program, and this pamphlet gives you information you would need in order to become certified through the institution [Authoritative Publication]." 

"So, what do I have to do?" 

"Well, it lists it in the pamphlet, but several times throughout the year, ABT holds intensive conferences at different locations around the country. You can register to go to this training course. You will attend pedagogy and health workshops to qualify you in teaching. After you complete the intensive, you will have to pass an examination by the Curriculum board - you will demonstrate exercises and give and oral exam to questions they ask [Regulating Standard]."

"That sounds a little intimidating," Haley admitted. "ABT is the most elite, established, and toughest ballet company in the United States." Jennifer nodded. "That's true, and this training curriculum does make them seem to be even more intimidating with the qualifications they require, but I know you would be up to the challenge. And you're studying Physical Therapy aren't you? With your knowledge of exercise sciences and injury prevention, I know you would really be able to grasp the curriculum and pedagogical methods they teach at these conferences, since it is largely anatomy based. And actually, people who have done research in health sciences are always submitting new research at these conferences to solidify the curriculum even more [Challenging Authority/Changing Standards]."

"Well, it definitely sounds like it's up my ally. Thanks for your insights, Jennifer. I really appreciate it."

"Of course, Haley. Like I said, I went through the curriculum myself, and from one injured dancer to another, it was a really meaningful and influential way for me to keep up my dance career. Don't let this injury stop you now. There's a lot more to dance than just being the one on stage." 





2 comments:

  1. Being a dancer, I really felt connected to this blog. It's like an athlete that gets an injury and is taken off of the field or the court. I love how the mentor responded best to fit her needs and raised her hopes in a different aspect of dance... I would want my mentors to do the same for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned this in my other comments, but I think that all these organizations that we have been writing about are pretty intimidating because they are well-known, or world-wide even. They all, though, give people further opportunity to pursue their passions, just like the woman in your story. Things may seem scary at first, but in the end, they are very beneficial.

    ReplyDelete