Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Take One for which Team?

1. Take One for which Team?
2. Audience: people I may have just met or are acquaintances, but probably not super close friends | Kairos: in a get-to-know-you sort of conversation about playing sports in high school
3. Story:
At 13 years old, I joined Canyon High School's girls’ basketball program. As our freshman team formed, I started and played most games all the way through without subs during pre-season. Our team had true chemistry.
One day at practice, the head varsity coach approached me.
"Can I talk to you for a second?" 
We walked off to the side of the court as he asked, "we'd like to ask you to play in the JV tournament in La Canada next week. Would you be willing to do that?"
My eyes lit up, "Sure!"
A week later, there I was warming up with the JV girls before our first game
The majority of baskets were made by me and Marissa. Three other girls trotted along--confusedly trying to remember where they were supposed to be for whatever play Marissa signaled.
We didn't do so hot in that tournament. The team didn't work together. Plays and defense were everywhere. Even after that, I don't remember the scores, but I do remember standing in the locker room with the whole team and the short, Asian coach smiling at me as I basked in the spotlight. They wanted me because their scores were at least higher than usual. They really, really wanted me. And I really wanted... to be the one who they wanted. 
When the tournament was over, I alternated practicing with the JV and freshman teams. After being asked several times if I wanted to join JV and not giving a direct answer, my mom got a call from the Varsity coach.
"So what did she decide?"
At 13 I stopped and considered what was in front of me--a year of either basking in a light that would soon fade with a disconnected team or challenging myself with a team that had chemistry and potential;. 
I chose my team in the end. And we placed in our league that season while the JV team lost every game. I may have stepped down from that pedestal, but I still got to be in the spotlight with a team that was mine.



1. All for Basketball
2. I would tell this to someone who I might be trying to show my character and work ethic to (like on a resume or letter of intent-type thing). 
3. Story:
“It’s just because you’re tall and they need taller players.”
“No, it’s because you’re good and they want you.”
My family and teammates said a lot of things. And I’m sure my teammates said a lot more behind my back when they heard I was chosen.
Either I take the opportunity play at the JV level at 13 or I regret losing the opportunity. [Contradiction] But it wasn’t really that simple. 
It began with the tournament. I improved their points, but one player can't win alone. Even then, I had been welcomed and esteemed as an asset to the JV team and I knew I could find my place as one of the starting, respected players during the season if I wanted to. [Past Act/Future Act]. Would it be worth it to abandon my team and what I had worked for with them? [Rhetorical Question]
Dribble, shoot, swish. [Onomatopoeia] “We need you on this team because Regan is our only other post player.” Even at practice, the chemistry between my freshman teammates and I was so much better. When I practiced with JV, all I could feel was the disconnect.
Finally, the Varsity coach called up my mom and said that a decision had to be made. The rules said I could not continue to be a part of both teams into the season [Possible/Impossible and Law]. 
At 13 I stood with a choice—a choice [Anadiplosis] not just between basketball teams, but between  potential and recognition. Mere endurance or purposeful, enduring hard work. Earning respect or having it handed to me. [Ellipsis]
In the end I chose to challenge myself and work with a team that worked—even when having to work on the usual jealous competition between team members. We placed that year. And the status and praise I turned from? Maybe it was intuition, but that team lost every game that season.


1 comment:

  1. The first one is definitely more clear, but I like the rhetorical devices used in the second. Great stories!

    ReplyDelete