Monday, November 23, 2015

Institutional Authority and Communication in Electrical Engineering

Bobby's interests in engineering really developed in college, where he graduated with a degree in electrical engineering and began working for Texas Instruments. He began to realize, however, that researching, developing, and inventing were a lot harder than he previously thought. Every time he proposed a new idea to his team, he was shut down.


"It's already been done".

"We don't have the budget".

"Corporate is looking for something else".


Bobby grew sick of these typical responses and approached his boss. "Steve, I feel like I'm missing something. It seems everyone else has an edge over me. They know something I don't! Their ideas are put into action while mine are always rejected. What can I do?"

"Well Bobby, when was the last time you compared your ideas with the IEEE standard (Authoritative Organization)?"

"IEEE? Well, never! I've never even heard of IEEE!" he replied, somewhat exasperated.

"You see that's the problem with universities these days," sighed Steve. "They teach the theory and ignore the real world application. IEEE -- pronounced 'I triple E' -- is the world’s largest professional association advancing innovation and technological excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community to innovate for a better tomorrow through its highly-cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities".

"How exactly does that help me?" asked Bobby.

"Look. Every month they produce hundreds of publications informing EEs about the latest technologies, inventions, and ideas. You should really subscribe to their main magazine, IEEE Spectrum (Authoritative Publication). They have also set up specific standards when designing new product interfaces, safety requirements, and many other guidelines that will ensure your ideas are compatible with today's market (Regulating Standard)."

"In all honesty", started Bobby, "I don't like being regulated. I feel like it inhibits innovation".

"Ha oh Bobby. Your ideas simply don't work because you don't follow the IEEE guidelines (Challenging Authority). That is why you're here with me, is it not?"

"Steve I guess you're right... It's time I inform myself about this IEEE thing. How should I start?"

"Bobby you're in luck. This weekend they are hosting a conference here in Dallas. These conferences are international and designed to bring out the latest trends and standards (Influential Event). Our company will pay you to go. Just make sure you take advantage of your time and be prepared to report to the team once you're done."

"Steve thank you so much! I really appreciate it!"

2 comments:

  1. I like your approach of telling the story through dialogue. It moved the story along and really puts you in the perspective of someone trying to learn about the IEEE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really interesting, Alec. I had no idea that there was a group that records ideas. But now that I read about it, it makes a lot of sense. Knowing about that group could really help individuals in this field. Hopefully it is pretty publicized. Good post!

    ReplyDelete