Thursday, March 26, 2015

Am I allowed to change my topic?

Courtesy of: Drake, but From: CEA


I'm changing my topic from Credit to Translation. So, please comment with any examples of post-Enlightenment ideas that connect to Translation!


WHY TRANSLATION IS NOT A COMMODITY
*Post-Enlightenment*

Industrialism and Consumerism
■ The rise of consumption of things brings broadening into foreign markets.
■ Increased immigration to work in emerging markets and industries.
■ Things (like utilities) become common place for people (not just speakers of one language).
Transportation
■ Transportation becomes easier bringing the 4 corners of the earth closer together
■ Mass production of vehicles means workers and consumers need translations (Industr & Consum)
Science and Arts - Cinema
■ Advances in the sciences and arts are desired by more than just the original country/language (Consumerism)
Intergovernmental organization - League of Nations
■ World wars bring governments together with responsibility to keep the world safe.
■ Working together as a global community 
Elitism and Nationalism
■ People bond together because of common ideals and values which separates countries. 
■ Countries are evaluated and compared
■ Languages become elite, valuable, common, and exotic (learn my language to live in my country)
Social Equality
■ Individuals should have equal access regardless of gender, race, LANGUAGE, etc

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading your point about elitism, I began to wonder whether or not the people of pre-WWI had any desire to learn another language. They were trying to band together, and since language is one of those bonding forces I imagine they would not want to rock the boat. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously translators (from then and before) had learned other languages. It must have been a valuable skill. I think the big thing is the sense of elitism. The idea that another persons culture is inferior. This would make their language also inferior. I cant say that all people thought this but elitists must have.

    ReplyDelete