Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Education and Technology


When I was young some of my teachers assumed that I had a learning disability until. Although that all changed in 5th grade with Mr. Ellefson. He made education fun and exciting. He worked with me and helped me see that I could learn. One of my favorite projects from his class was my state report. We spent much time preparing for the presentation of our projects by walking as a class to a nearby computer lab. We were given the freedom to use the internet to find information on our state and put it together in a power point presentation. I always looked forward to going to the computer lab and I felt as though I learned so much from that project. This was my first real use of the internet to help me in my school work. Technology has changed a lot since then and is even more helpful yet we aren't taking full advantage of all it has to offer. With proper structure, guidance and protection I believe that kids can and should be allowed to take full advantage of technology to help them learn. Here are some more of my thoughts on the matter:

2 comments:

  1. Great video Kirsten! I completely agree, technology is huge in our day if used properly. I did mine on Social Media, and the way technology can be used for wasteful activities. But like you said, if used right, it can be an awesome new frame of reference that can really take education and lots of other things to the next level

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think technology is a very important aspect of the educational program, but not the most important. Your experience with Mr. Ellefson highlights this. The biggest thing a teacher can do is instill a passion for learning. I very much so agree that in a rigid system it is very difficult to implement. Thus in a more open classroom, teachers will have more freedom in how they instill that passion in the kids.

    ReplyDelete