Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A House is Not a Home

 
In class yesterday, Jerrick told me that I was thinking too narrowly about credit. I had considered this before - the title of my last post was actually meant for content more relevant to a broader and different dogma - but I was nervous to step away from a dogma I felt comfortable confronting to face one that I wasn't sure how to handle. 

From: Teachers pay Teachers
I remembered looking for images of wants vs. needs and coming across several worksheets meant for children. One in particular caught my attention. Most of them had a picture of a house labeled "house". This worksheet labeled the house as "shelter (home)". This label was the inspiration for my video and for this post. Because a house is not a home.


3 comments:

  1. You idea is very compelling. I agree that this is a problem and with the credit, it is frustrating that banks and sellers check your credit for everything, even if you have a lot of savings and have no history of debt. People ought to only buy what they can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I agree with Stephanie. What a way to expand a specific situation to a greater and grander dogma in society. Maybe we need to focus more on the abstract the Enlightenment guys did. Like you said--a HOME is more important that a HOUSE. If society could see that--could see that the personal, spiritual, internal feelings matter more than outward expressions or physical tokens--we'd be better off with our credit situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way your idea developed! The "house is not a home" thought is very interesting. That idea actually challenges preconceived definitions--a very Enlightenment way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete