Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Small Piece of Paper: Big Problems

This video wraps up some of my thoughts on the perception that future actuaries need to go through the same process that the preceding generations went through to become certified.  Although this is a very specific topic to my field of study I hope that you can't take away some of the highlights to some of the more general dogmas with regards to credentialing. (Some of the other students in our class have done their videos/blog posts about this topic.)
(Hopefully this video updates soon so that it doesn't look as raw as it currently does. Either way, Enjoy!)


2 comments:

  1. Great video. You clearly explain how and why the frame of reference needs to change for credentialism for actuaries. As I commented before, I don't know if it should change or not (I'm sure if I was studying with you I'd agree), but I think that is part of what the enlightenment is about. Getting new ideas spread out to those who accepted the ideas of the medieval and renaissance eras. Getting this information out will allow people to question dogmas they hadn't even recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an interesting point that you have brought up. It is a topic that affects most people. I understand where schools are coming from when they say they want to make sure their students are well-rounded but why should someone who is an English major be expected to take so many math and science courses? I have seen people who's GPA has suffered a blow because they struggled in a a class that really had nothing to do with their major. I agree that schools should really making changes to the credit requirements for all majors.

    ReplyDelete