Thursday, March 26, 2015

Am I allowed to change my topic?

Courtesy of: Drake, but From: CEA


I'm changing my topic from Credit to Translation. So, please comment with any examples of post-Enlightenment ideas that connect to Translation!


WHY TRANSLATION IS NOT A COMMODITY
*Post-Enlightenment*

Industrialism and Consumerism
■ The rise of consumption of things brings broadening into foreign markets.
■ Increased immigration to work in emerging markets and industries.
■ Things (like utilities) become common place for people (not just speakers of one language).
Transportation
■ Transportation becomes easier bringing the 4 corners of the earth closer together
■ Mass production of vehicles means workers and consumers need translations (Industr & Consum)
Science and Arts - Cinema
■ Advances in the sciences and arts are desired by more than just the original country/language (Consumerism)
Intergovernmental organization - League of Nations
■ World wars bring governments together with responsibility to keep the world safe.
■ Working together as a global community 
Elitism and Nationalism
■ People bond together because of common ideals and values which separates countries. 
 Countries are evaluated and compared
 Languages become elite, valuable, common, and exotic (learn my language to live in my country)
Social Equality
■ Individuals should have equal access regardless of gender, race, LANGUAGE, etc

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading your point about elitism, I began to wonder whether or not the people of pre-WWI had any desire to learn another language. They were trying to band together, and since language is one of those bonding forces I imagine they would not want to rock the boat. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously translators (from then and before) had learned other languages. It must have been a valuable skill. I think the big thing is the sense of elitism. The idea that another persons culture is inferior. This would make their language also inferior. I cant say that all people thought this but elitists must have.

    ReplyDelete