Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keeping Up with the Joneses

From: Debt Free Me Please
On my way of out ENG 212 when I walked by the WILK, I stepped into Wells Fargo and just made a small withdrawal. Because they do it every time, I knew I would be invited to open a credit account. Although I have had this conversation with my teller before, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to run my new frame of reference by someone who knew a lot about credit.



Sure enough I was told about how I was eligible for a credit account and I responded with, "Why would I need that?" The conversation went well as long as the teller explained to me the importance of credit. But for some reason the conversation escalated quickly as I presented my ideas and then asked for a response. Realizing that the bank wasn't a good location for discussing change in banking practices, I explained my intention and left Wells Fargo.

I imagine how it must have been for Galileo to explain heliocentrism to those who were in power at the time. Without needing to show why geocentrism was the truth, they quoted the bible and left it at that. But Galileo was changing his reference as are many others today in terms of credit.

I decided that I wasn't happy with what was explained to me at my own bank so I decided to call Check City. I explained what my call was for and was asked to hold until the district manager picked up, happy to answer any questions about credit. In short, Mike told me that I was right. Credit isn't as valuable as people think it is. But we live in a society where credit is strongly ingrained and few people would be willing to break away from it. Mike explained alot of Dave Ramsey's principles to me and told me that if I don't get an A on this mid term to give him a call and he'd take care of it.


1 comment:

  1. Your post is great. I especially liked your comparison to Galileo because it is so true. People in the center of an ideology and those who are dependent on an ideology are the least likely to listen to your suggestion or finding. It is people who are less emotionally charged or less connected that will listen to ideas about change.

    ReplyDelete