Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Missionary Work in the Modern World

Recently I was released from my calling in my ward as the ward mission leader.  Right when I was called, I was very unsure of what to do.  The previous ward mission leader came to me and let me know some of the things he had done, and he said I could pretty much do what I wanted.  My Bishop even told me that I could do what I wanted.

Part of the dogma of missionary work is that you go out and physically do missionary work by meeting with people in person.  Sometimes calling them on the phone can be appropriate, but even then you usually only do that with people you’ve already contacted in person.

As a newly called ward mission leader, I was told by the stake that our ward would be doing a pilot online missionary program.  We mostly focused on using Facebook to communicate with old friends about the Gospel.

Most of the members of my ward weren’t too excited about doing online missionary work.  They felt awkward about it, because they didn’t want to bother their friends.  I think this is the same worry that people have about missionary work in person.

I think we should be more comfortable with doing missionary work online.  I personally believe that the reason so many people are uncomfortable with it is because it’s new, and it’s out of the set of rules, or the dogma, that everyone is used to.  This can make change hard, but I think it will benefit us a lot if we’re willing to make the change.

1 comment:

  1. On my mission we didn't get to use Facebook but I think its great that missionaries today are being able to use it. I think this radical change in the mission field should definitely carry over into the church as a whole.

    ReplyDelete