Tuesday, February 24, 2015

To Be Politically Correct...

We live in a day and age when it is imperative to always be "politically correct." There are instances when an individual steps out of bounds in what they say, like with Justine Sacco who got fired for being racist. In fact, at least once a week I see a story on Facebook entitled something like, "You Won't Believe What ________ Said." With the accessibility of the internet, it is easy to get yourself in trouble for something that you post for the whole world to see.



This ultra-correct ideology to me is an example of tolerance, but tolerance taken too far. Now, there are times and places to say things and to not say things, like with Justine Sacco. But, on the other hand, if I were to publicly broadcast that I do not believe gay marriage is right, I would probably get shamed by my online peers. For me to say something that I believe or don't believe, I am called a bigot, judgmental, and un-Christian.

This idea of tolerance reminds me of frames of reference, a principle of the Enlightenment. To me, dogma of political correctness is based on frames of reference. For me to say my beliefs about gay marriage to my LDS friends would not get me in trouble, because they share a similar frame of reference with me. But to step out of that frame of reference would be to step into a war zone where I am bound to get shot down.

The problem with being "politically correct" is that it at times takes away a bit of our freedom of speech. (Again, keep in mind that I acknowledge there are some things that are absolutely inappropriate to say.) To have to be politically correct is to have to alter the way I say things to make it appear as though I agree with the rest of what society says, or risk being called on the carpet. To claim a belief because of my religion or just as an opinion is labeled as narrow-minded and ignorant. I can't have beliefs unless those beliefs line up with the frame of reference of everyone else. I mean, I can, but maybe I'll end up like Justine Sacco.

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with this dogma as well. I think that I mostly agree with what you have said I have definitely felt at times the "restrain" on my freedom of speech because of having to be sure I speak within some "correct" bounds. Free speech isn't free speech until there aren't boundaries set up around it.

    ReplyDelete