Friday, December 5, 2014

Writing Plan: English Teaching

Audience Profile

The typical people entering the English Teaching field are usually either English fanatics or fans of teaching. Ideally they are both. Generally, they take English survey courses or writing classes in the beginning years of their schooling. Once students have applied to the English Teaching program, they take an introduction course which overviews issues connected to teaching (such as communication) and which provides students opportunities to observe real teachers in the public schools. More advanced classes focus in on preparing students to teach and use effective communication in a classroom setting. At the end of their degree, student teaching allows students to practice communicating like an English Teacher.

Context

Since an English teacher teaches how to communicate well, drawing the audience's attention should be easy--they're already interested in improving communication! Presenting examples of situations that require wise communication (like in-class persuasion or parent-teacher conferences) will also provide a practical reason for studying communication.
Rhetoric

The styles of oratory are important--making the distinction between high, middle, and low style will allow me to focus my paper on the low teaching style. Then, my audience should understand that being aware of kairos, ethos, pathos, and audience will help them make the best decisions while they teach. I'll define each of these terms when I use them.
History

The Roman style of teaching (which focused on the trivium, reading and writing and performing, etc.) is extremely eye-opening. Persuading students to take an interest in the history of teaching should be easy, because Quintilian's discovery of the Roman curriculum is ground-breaking. I'll explain how the Romans' way of teaching literature and composition was much more effective than today's methods. 
Development Plan

If I begin the paper with examples of situations where an English teacher would need to use communication I think I'll capture the readers' attention. Then, I can reel them in with questions that target my audience ("Do you love English? Do you have a passion for teaching?" for example). I would follow up with a reason why they should be interested in my paper: A promise that by learning more about the history and rhetoric involved with teaching, they will be more prepared for the day that they teach in their own classroom. I'll go on to explain the Roman way of teaching, and then explain that although we teach a different curriculum than the Romans' in today's schools, at least we can use rhetoric effectively. I'll explain that teaching is considered low style, and that being aware of kairos, ethos, pathos, and audience will improve teaching and general communication in any classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I think its cool that you will be able to tie your field's communication aspects with teachings communication aspects. I am able to do something similar with psychology rhetoric and professoring's rhetoric. It is also interesting to me that you will be trying to persuade your audience that the Roman's methods are more effective than today's. It should be interesting paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How would you change your topics for students that are unsure of what they want to do? If you were trying to convince them to be an English teacher, what would be different? Would you go straight into the teaching of history (as it seems you would do to those already interested)?

    ReplyDelete