Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Annotated Working Draft of Final Project / Hotspots in Religious Education

Component Assignments:

1.  Communication and Persuasion in Seminary/Institute Teaching
 Thriving in the field of religious education requires effective communication with youth and a solid understanding of gospel doctrines and scriptural text.  It is advantageous for a teacher to employ rhetorical practices in his or her teaching. 

2.  Storytelling in Seminary Teaching 
 Using various rhetorical techniques to relate stories from the scriptures can help students have different experiences in learning gospel principles.  One can shape a rigid and factual story by exploring different strategies of expression. 

3.  History of Religious Education 
 The history of religious education began before man was placed on the earth.  The Ultimate and Perfect Teacher is God.  Other non-christian denominations have also developed systems of religious education strikingly similar to one used by the LDS church.

4.  Institutional Authority and Communication in Religious Education 
 This case study spotlights a particular and powerful committee in charge of hiring teachers to work in the Religion Department at BYU-Idaho.  Various questions are raised and answered about the specific requirements for working in this field and possible hurdles to leap before employment can be extended.

Hotspots:

Hotspot #1 (in the field): Connecting to the rising generation of youth in a changing world.  I hit that point when I empathized the importance of teachers using new technologies and media to capture the interest of young students.

Hotspot #2 (personal): In my case study I really brought out my own fears of knocking on the CES's door in pursuit of a job only to not have it opened to me because of varying requirements and specific department policies. 

Hotspot #3 (historical): Understanding that religious education is not a "field of interest" for some but in fact a life endeavor for all dating back to our Pre-mortal state caused me to tighten my grip on this much-wanted but elusive dream of teaching.





3 comments:

  1. I like your personal hotspot... I think that brings a very real aspect about the importance of face to face communication and its corresponding success in your field. That can go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your first hotspot--it's interesting to see how teaching techniques have to change with each generation because we all grow up learning in different ways. Haha, I'm sure we've all had professors that haven't figured that out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your historical hotspot. I'd literally never thought of it that way, and I think that could be super interesting to learn more about, plus you could put a bit of personal story in there. Expanding might be a little more difficult, but it has the potential of really being interesting.

    ReplyDelete