Monday, August 31, 2015

Souvlaki: That's the World's First Dish

After some brief research of the Greek souvlaki, I discovered that it was much more familiar to me than I had originally thought. Apparently, souvlaki is just like tacos! And I do love tacos. But I just wrote about souvlaki because Dr. Burton dared me. 

If you're a Disney buff like me, you know that the world's first dish was actually created after Zeus locked the titans down in a vault before Hercules was born. Disney's Hercules is probably the closest the Greeks and I ever got. Now, while I'm at BYU, I feel like his story resonates with me more than ever.

I've noticed that here at BYU, your appearance - your ethos - is very important. So many students stress about getting the best grades, being the best elder's quorum president, being perfect. Hercules felt the same way. As a son of the god's himself, he was held to a higher standard. After a few years at BYU, I'm tired of it; I don't want to be perfect anymore. I want to be imperfect me and be okay with it. And that's the gospel truth.


3 comments:

  1. Dying! With laughter, that is. This is great. But don't worry, I won't leave my comment at just that. I think this a simple, yet perfect way to relate Greek culture to our own - through something that is familiar to all of us, like a Disney movie. It's very true that here at BYU and in our LDS faith, we feel the need to be perfect like Hercules did, because we have a huge responsibility to live up to. We still should strive to live up to our responsibility as sons and daughters of God, but also be patient with ourselves in recognizing that we are just mortals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turns out that a Greek souvlaki isn't just a taco-like food, but also a chain restaurant that appears all over the Utah Valley. Who knew there literally is a Greek Souvlaki within a 25 mile radius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if this was intended or not, but I love how you used the phrase, "as a son of the God's himself". I always love thinking about our titles as sons and daughters of God as being like Hercules. SO much potential, even if we are currently imperfect, which we can reach if we'll just do our very best. Really, such an applicable story to our lives (the Disney version, anyway) in so many ways. Great post!

    ReplyDelete