Monday, August 31, 2015

Meat was for Savages

According to this blog on "How to Eat like a Greek", (in case you were ever wondering how to do that), it gives a brief historical background on the diet of the day in Ancient Grecian times. Bread and wine were staples, but meat was associated with barbarians and hunter-gatherers, and not of the more sophisticated in the society. This was because all they could do was savagely hunt for and kill their food, instead of farming and working the land and "transforming nature."

I found this blog and article to be particularly interesting. I, for one, consider myself to be a bit of a carnivore. I love to eat healthy and have a well balanced diet, but let's just say I don't think I could ever be a vegetarian. I love me a good piece of steak, or being from the South, a good piece of fried chicken. I look at how much meat we consume as a society.  I add to this statistic, being a meat-lover. You can run through a drive-thru and buy burger, after burger, after chicken sandwich, after burger. It's so easy. Does that make us all savages?

And the Word of Wisdom. We know that the beasts of the land are for our use and for our nourishment, but even the Word of Wisdom says to eat meats sparingly. Have we abused that in this day and age? As much as I love a good cheeseburger, when I think of the Wing King challenge (eat 50 buffalo chicken wings in 30 minutes) or the 72 oz steak Man vs. Food challenge I can't help but think of a barbarian shoveling as much food as he can down his throat because he doesn't know when he's going to eat next.

Maybe we should all take a lesson from our alternative vegan/vegetarian friend we all know and go a little more green.

(Sorry, this is not a picture of me.) 


(But this is. And my husband.) 


3 comments:

  1. I think many of us feel we could never be vegetarians. However, following the example of the Savior always seems to help. Eat fish. It's as close as we will get to healthy meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great topic that I also feel very deeply about. I sometimes wonder how well as a society we truly are following the word of wisdom. Maybe they did have a better way back then, or maybe somewhere in between would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun pictures! They captivated my attention. I agree on the above post on topic of Word of Wisdom. I think there were reasons for meat sparingly back in the day- the way they prepared it and such, but I believe it still stands true. I definitely have noticed more stomach aches from meat lately... Maybe I'll follow the fish commment.

    ReplyDelete