Monday, August 31, 2015

It's a Tragedy Sophicles Lived So Long Ago



     One of the great literary innovators of his time, Sophicles rocked his contemporaries' concept of Greek tragedy by adding a revolutionary third character to his theatrical works.  While this may seem like a small change compared to the dramatic (no pun intended) variations we see in plays and musicals today, Sophicles' decision reflected a spirit of identifying and questioning underlying assumptions that I see in myself.

      Sometimes the pieces of life that are the most obvious to us are the ones that call for the greatest reflection and examination.  I wonder what aspects of my life Sophicles would most deeply question if he were alive today.



If you are as interested as I am about Sophicles' life and works, you can learn more about him here.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you will find your questioning nature to be very helpful in this class, especially during your final presentation. Some of the best solutions solve the most obvious problems. I think this is part of the reason that we study civilizations and rhetoric. As was discussed today, sometimes we see what's going on around us without actually participating or making necessary changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One aspect of many BYU student's lives I personally would question is how much time we devote to trivial things on our iPhones. I feel like Sophicles could have written a pretty compelling tragedy about that.

    ReplyDelete